Brand identity is a set of visual components that represents ideas, allows customers to remember a brand and distinguish it from dozens of others. It helps shape consumer’s perceptions about a company, build loyalty and trust, and make a brand memorable.
Watch the video below to figure out things you need to consider when building brand identity.
In this article, we’ll review the importance of brand identity, compare brand identity and brand image, unveil its elements, get to know how to develop a powerful brand identity, and see examples.
Why is brand identity important?
You don't need to have a large market share and a huge customer base like other well-established brands. However, if you want to receive benefits such as customer loyalty, brand recognition, trust, and constant growth, a strong brand identity is incredibly important. It helps represent your brand’s values and personality, and convey consistent messages across all marketing channels.
An increasingly competitive market makes brands come up with something new to stand out. By creating a powerful identity for your company, you’ll be able to find an appropriate position for your brand and create a unique design people will recognize. As a result, you’ll improve brand awareness.
Now that you know about the reasons, let’s dig deeper and compare the two different terms that often evoke confusion.
Brand Identity vs Brand Image
Brand identity is a set of visible elements like logo, design, and color that helps a brand stand out among competitors in consumers’ minds. A business owner’s team selects a name, develops a logo, crafts messages and a way of communication, creates shapes and visuals, and uses colors just to shape a necessary image in the minds of consumers.
Brand image is the perception a certain consumer has about a particular brand after interacting with it. Simply put, it’s a result of the efforts a company's team makes to create a brand identity. If successful, they shape a positive image. In the event of a failure, the image is negative.
It’s time to walk you through the main components of brand identity.
Elements of Brand Identity
Brand identity isn’t merely a logo, it includes more components that you should consider.
- Logo. Logos can be presented in the form of an image, text, shape that depicts a brand’s name and purpose. Of course, a logo is the key element of a company's identity since customers usually pay attention to it. You can also use a text logo (a distinct text-only typographic treatment of a brand's name). More and more companies now choose text-only logos since they are easier to remember.
- Font. Once you decide on your logo, you should think of the corporate font you will use on your website and in different marketing campaigns. Find an attention-grabbing and at the same time easy-to-understand font. The best fonts include Proxima Nova, TT Norms Pro, and Helvetica Now. They are used by famous brands like Spotify, Jeep, Bosh, Panasonic, and many more.
- Style consistency. By mentioning style, we mean visual elements of your brand. You should have consistency in images and other visual elements that can be present on your website or in promotional campaigns.
- Shape and form. One more important component is a shape or form that represents your company and makes people recognize your product. Ensure that you have memorable packaging and an interesting form. For example, McDonald’s effectively utilized a unique element for promotion. Now the iconic "M" form is known all over the world.
Now when you are acquainted with the key elements, let’s jump into the next section.
How to Create a Powerful Brand Identity?
- Analyze your ideal customer, unique value proposition, and competitors
- Come up with unique visual elements for your brand that reflect your ideas
- Think of the language to communicate with customers
- Avoid several negative practices
- Monitor the progress
To establish a strong brand presence, you need to have a powerful set of visual assets like logo, style, form, color, consistency, etc. Yet, that’s not all. Check out the steps below to find out more.
1. Analyze your ideal customer, unique value proposition, and competitors
To understand your audience, unique value proposition, and rivals, you need to conduct market research. Firstly, make sure that you know your ideal customers and their needs. By understanding your audience you will be closer to developing a product that people will admire.
Secondly, analyze your product and identify what makes you unique among others and allows you to stand out. To develop a successful brand, you should know the difference between your company and your rivals. Thirdly, create a clear mission statement that includes your vision and objectives.
For example, Mercedes-Benz is an exclusive brand that demonstrates the success of its owner. The company communicates superiority and exclusivity. This strong brand reflects German precision, quality, and discipline. The company targets customers with high incomes aged 25-45. The brands’ clients value luxury and comfort.
2. Come up with unique visual elements for your brand that reflect your ideas
Once you do your market research, create a logo that combines your values and represents your product well. Remember, it helps customers recognize your brand and come back.
A logo is always included in online and offline forms of promotion: email campaigns, web push notifications, chatbots, posters, billboards, infomercials, commercials, etc. That’s why try brainstorming with your team to create something amazing and easy to recollect. Besides, it’s also imperative to create appropriate packaging and an interesting form.
Probably, almost all women all over the world would recognize the desired product package from Tiffany & Co. — a small but valuable blue box with jewelry. Now it has become the world’s most popular package.
3. Think of the language to communicate with customers
At this step, you need to connect with your customers. For this purpose, use the language that suits your brand personality. For example, if your company is laid-back, then use conversational language. It’s important to use the same tone across all marketing channels. Since people like storytelling, create a story for your brand. It helps build connections with your target audience and evoke certain emotions.
4. Avoid several negative practices
It’s critically important to avoid several things when developing a strong identity. First of all, don’t communicate mixed messages to your audience so as not to confuse them. You should always know what to say, use language and visuals that fit your company.
Secondly, be unique and innovative. Find ways to improve a product you want to offer or add something special. For example, provide customers with a new feature or better quality.
Thirdly and most importantly, remember to be consistent in your values, ideas, and messages. You need to stick to your plan and use the same colors, font, elements, and shapes when interacting with leads and customers.
5. Monitor the progress
Finally, track your performance metrics to know if everything goes right. Consider leveraging Google Analytics, surveys, reviewing customer feedback on your product, checking social media to get an understanding of how good customers perceive your brand. Also, surveys, reviews, and comments will help you figure out the areas that require changes. This, in turn, will enable you to improve the user experience.
Now let’s look at several examples.
Examples of Strong Brand Identity
Visual elements stay in the minds of customers long after purchase. Let’s find out what famous brands do to achieve such success among consumers.
This brand is one of the examples of well-established companies with a strong brand identity. When customers hear the company’s name, they probably have several associations with Coca-Cola. It can be its red logo, a polar bear, or its popular “Share a Coke” campaign. The drink evokes feelings like happiness and joy.
Fashion To Figure
This brand that focuses on selling women's plus-size apparel has a really powerful brand identity. The company has clear values and always tries to convey its main idea that fashion is for everyone. The brand’s motto is “Fashion is a state of mind, not a size range”. So, the company strives to provide its customers with the latest looks.
With a strong brand identity, you have a chance to reach the hearts of buyers and make them recognize your company. Make sure that it includes your values, ideas, a memorable logo, and colors that fit your product perfectly.
- This article defines the term and uncovers how to build brand identity.
- This article unveils the importance of a strong brand identity.
- In this article, you’ll find how to create a memorable brand identity.
Last Updated: 27.08.2021