Business-to-government (B2G) marketing is promoting and selling products to government institutions. Companies obtain grants from federal, state, and local agencies to complete orders.
In this article, we’ll uncover the difference between business-to-government and business-to-business marketing and review 5 marketing strategies for B2G.
B2G vs B2B
We can break down marketing strategies into three main types: B2C, B2B, and B2G. You can use one of the three business models based on your client. Let’s compare B2G and B2B to find out the main difference.
B2G is marketing and selling products to government agencies. Federal, state, and local agencies request proposals and give grants to companies that are considered the most suitable candidates for governmental tasks. Businesses provide various types of services to government agencies. They ensure IT support services, construct aircraft, and supply missile defense systems.
B2B is targeting other companies as consumers. In this business model, a company sells products and services to small, medium, and large businesses. They include startups, enterprises, small brands, etc. The process is longer since customers need more time to make buying decisions.
So, the main difference between B2G and B2B is the agency that orders a product or service. In B2G, the buyer is a government institution, while in B2B, the buyer is a business.
Now when the difference is clear, it’s time to explore marketing strategies for B2G.
5 Marketing Strategies for B2G
If you work with governments, you need to develop an excellent product and marketing strategy. We’ve prepared 5 tips for you to consider to make your business more attractive to customers.
- Define your target audience. The first thing you should do is to determine the governmental institutions you want to target. Explore their preferences, missions, posts they share, and products they choose. Once you finish with the task, you can create an accurate buyer persona. This will help you understand how to present your company and product to these prospective customers.
- Create an engaging website. Before writing any grant bids, you need to build a quality website with your offer. Your site should communicate your brand identity and address customers’ needs. Consider optimizing it in terms of SEO, user experience, and usability. Companies should always pay attention to the creation of main landing pages. These web pages should have a responsive design, good website speed, compelling copy, and a visible call to action button. Include unique pictures, infographics, and videos that showcase your product.
- Work on your content marketing strategy. Establishing credibility and trust requires businesses to provide customers with quality content. By showing your expertise, skills, and knowledge in the industry, you can prove that your company is the best choice for the project. You can reach prospects through different types of content like blog posts, educational videos, demos, photos of completed projects, and email newsletters to make them choose your company.
- Leverage CRM. CRM tools automate your communication with leads. With their help, you can gather contact information and collect feedback. As a result, you’ll be able to qualify your customers. SendPulse’s CRM allows you to do it for free. Our service enables users to accept orders, create a customer list, and launch marketing campaigns.
- Provide virtual reality experience. Interactive experiences and the possibility to explore the peculiarities of a product mean a lot for governmental decision-makers. Customers can test a product before buying it and decide whether it suits their purpose. If yes, you will win the grant and work with government agencies.
Congrats, now you know the main features of B2G marketing. Make use of our strategies before bidding for a suitable grant.
Last Updated: 21.03.2023
Sign up withSign in with Facebook Sign in with Google