Advertising clutter means the excessive amount of advertising messages customers receive every day. It contributes to advertising avoidance and a negative predisposition towards advertising.
Why is advertising clutter a problem?
Brands use a variety of marketing efforts to achieve their business goals: generate sales, get the highest profit, and customer recognition. However, over-advertising can negatively affect customers who are bombarded with promotional emails, SMS, pre-paid ads, TV commercials, and more.
It’s worth mentioning that the level of advertising clutter across different marketing channels is always high and is now considered a serious problem for customers who can then affect your business as well. It can result in reduced ad viewing, customer’s inability to identify the brand, increased avoidance, impaired advertising memories, negative emotional responses to advertising, and banner blindness.
7 Reasons for Advertising Clutter
Since advertising space is in great demand as it allows businesses to benefit, companies are trying to promote themselves in a variety of ways. Eventually, the level of ads goes off scale, overwhelms and annoys customers, and becomes clutter. This process is undesirable for consumers, advertisers, and media providers for several reasons:
- customers are bombarded with an excessive amount of ads;
- since people have a limited capacity for processing the information they can’t remember the brand and offers that were included;
- noteworthy negative impact on consumer attitudes;
- tons of ads are usually intrusive;
- some ads can be irrelevant;
- people who receive too many irrelevant marketing messages prefer to opt-out;
- a negative predisposition towards advertising.
It’s essential to know the reasons why you should avoid advertising clutter. However, if you are facing this problem right now, we have six tips for you to overcome it.
6 Tips to Break Through Advertising Clutter
- Implement viral marketing
- Retain customers
- Consider ambient marketing
- Partner with influencers
- Ensure mobile-first design
- Consider search engine marketing
Many small companies use a variety of ways to avoid excess advertising in the market. The most important is to find unique and effective ways of product promotion that will not annoy and upset your customers. Several tips will help you break through the advertising clutter.
- Implement viral marketing. The strategy aims at spreading information about a product from person to person by word of mouth or by sharing it on social media platforms. The goal of viral marketing is to inspire customers to share marketing messages with their family, colleagues, and friends, improve brand awareness and increase brand engagement.
- Retain customers. Allow customers to set their preferences, providing your clients with useful information, and updating the offering in your re-engagement emails. To achieve great results in your business, you need to segment your audience by age, income, traits, beliefs, or interests and create customized emails. With SendPulse, you can segment your mailing list based on gender, location, products purchased, etc.
- Consider ambient marketing. You’ve probably noticed advertising in various locations in your daily life like tunnels, bus stops, buildings, etc. By using ambient marketing you can easily grab the attention of people passing by who can be your prospective customers.
- Partner with influencers. Since social media platforms are an integral part of our everyday life, influencer marketing is very popular now. Social media users have a lot of trust in the recommendations of their favorite influencers on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook. According to research, 49% of users rely on recommendations of influencers and about 40% had purchased something online after seeing it in the influencer’s post, story, or video.
- Ensure mobile-first design. Statistics say that 62% of users accessed the Internet from their smartphones. That’s why it’s crucial to have a mobile-friendly website or an app to provide visitors with a smooth user experience engaging with your brand.
- Consider search engine marketing (SEM). Do your best to increase the visibility of your website. SEM helps you grab the attention of leads and customers, reach them instantly, target the right audience through optimized ads, and increase traffic.
So now that you know how to break through advertising clutter, let’s proceed to the examples.
Examples of Advertising Clutter
You can find this phenomenon everywhere starting from television and radio and finishing with the Internet. So let’s consider several examples to fully understand advertising clutter.
Let’s take online clutter, for example. The Internet is a huge platform for product promotion from various businesses. You can see display ads, web push, social media ads, and even more all over the web. Since the Internet is overwhelmed with ads, users are desensitized to ad messages.
Although you might think that TV advertising is no longer popular, it’s considered the most trusted form of advertising. However, a large number of commercials on television always interrupt shows and films people are watching which is very annoying. It makes many people avoid those ads.
To sum it up, it’s crucially important to avoid advertising clutter to make you benefit. The tips above will help you overcome this problem if you’re already facing it.
- The article covers the forms of advertising clutter.
- The article provides several steps to break through the advertising clutter.
- In this article, a reader can find the definition of advertising clutter and get to know how to break through this process.
Last Updated: 08.07.2021