YouTube marketing is a strategy that involves creating videos and uploading them on YouTube to promote a brand or a product and gain exposure. It helps companies boost traffic, increase their customer base, and reach new audiences.
In this article, you’ll find out why YouTube is an effective marketing tool and review its benefits. Next, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide to create a YouTube marketing strategy and offer some tips.
Why is YouTube an effective marketing tool?
Since YouTube’s 22.8 billion visits make it the second most visited site in the world after Google, it’s able to bring many benefits to brands. The platform isn’t just a famous entertaining channel but a powerful marketing tool. Companies can develop YouTube channels for advertising. Channels help get many views from new geographics, promote a product or a company, build a large customer base, and increase sales volume.
YouTube is a famous educational platform. Companies can achieve greater exposure that expands the customer base. By making detailed tutorials, live streamings, guides, and lessons, brands can rank higher on Google. Running ads is one more reason for companies to use the online video sharing platform since it helps brands reach a wider audience and obtain new customers. Moreover, it's much cheaper than paid advertising on Facebook and Instagram.
Now that you know why YouTube is considered an effective marketing tool it’s time to discover its main benefits.
Benefits of YouTube Marketing
The platform can serve as one of the most effective marketing channels. Optimizing keywords in titles, creating tutorials, commentary, product reviews, Q&A, and “top” lists allow businesses to have higher exposure and reach new audiences. Brands can’t predict who and when will access their videos. If the content contains the necessary keywords in the title, all people who look for information might stumble upon a certain video, stay with this channel, and buy its product. Besides, adding overlays to videos (images or animation that occur on the bottom of the video) enables businesses to improve brand awareness.
Videos show in Google search results. They provide companies with the visibility and the opportunity to bring prospects. After exploring content on YouTube, leads might visit a brand’s website to know more about its product. Videos will stay on the video-sharing platform as long as they comply with its guidelines and policies.
Since YouTube is an international company, it empowers brands worldwide to reach new geographies. The platform helps attract leads from different countries who speak the same language.
The main benefit of YouTube is a chance to effectively promote a company. A business can do it by creating content for its channel or running pre-roll ads on the platform and gaining the attention of the audience.
To reach viewers fast and gain their loyalty to your YouTube channel, you need to develop your strategy. The steps below will help you do it.
How to create a YouTube marketing strategy?
- Create a channel on YouTube
- Research your target audience
- Conduct competitive analysis
- Create videos based on the algorithm
- Upload content to your channel
- Ensure that your channel is complete
- Promote your videos
- Consider influencer marketing
- Measure the success
YouTube provides businesses with countless opportunities. With its huge base of users, companies can effectively promote their products. Let’s find out how to create the strategy and implement it for your brand.
- Create a channel on YouTube. To create a channel, you can make use of your regular Google account. Yet, you’ll be the only person who can log in. If you need an account that allows several users to access it simultaneously, you should open a brand account. With its help, you can start several channels on YouTube.
- Research your target audience. Before creating videos, you need to analyze YouTube demographics. Explore the location, age, and viewing preferences to meet the needs of users. Based on the preferences of your target audience, you’ll be able to create useful content. Gather all important information about the videos people like to watch the most. In case you already have a business account with YouTube, explore its analytics. It will give you insights into your audience. You can see the comments, ask questions, or create a poll to find out the interests and wishes of your subscribers.
- Conduct competitive analysis. YouTube is a large platform with many business accounts worldwide. The competition is high. By analyzing rivals, you have a chance to find out the opportunities your channel has. First, identify 3-5 the most successful competitors. To do it, you can leverage keyword tools to see which brands have the highest ranking based on keywords related to your industry. Pay attention to their metrics, titles, descriptions, and comments under videos to find some helpful information and inspiration. Second, you should determine the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors. SWOT analysis will help you do it.
- Create videos based on the algorithm. YouTube has its own ranking algorithm. So, if you want to rank high, you should create recognizable thumbnails (your videos’ snapshots), optimize your titles and descriptions, and use keywords. It will help you get priority and obtain more views. To write a strong title, include the appropriate keywords. Open YouTube Analytics to find these words and phrases to add them to your title. Make sure to use the keywords at the beginning. Besides, write a title that includes 60 or fewer characters. You should use the most important keywords in your description to write a summary of your video. To drive the desired action, add CTAs in the form of a card, end screen, watermark, or bumper ad. Finally, encourage people to like, comment, subscribe, and share.
- Upload content to your channel. Create a schedule to upload your videos in time. This way, viewers will know when the new episode is available. Ensure to choose the day and time with the highest level of engagement and views. If you’ve already uploaded some videos, you can check the analytics. It will help you define the most appropriate date for uploading new episodes.
- Ensure to provide the necessary information on your channel. To simplify the search, you need to optimize your channel. There are several steps you should consider to enable users to find you faster. Firstly, complete your profile. Make sure to fill in the channel description, upload your logo, and make use of channel art. Besides, you can also add your other channels or resources subscribers might find useful. Secondly, make sure that your channel contains links to your website and social media profiles. Thirdly, create a trailer for your YouTube channel to introduce your company to viewers and educate them about your product. Communicate your brand statement and explain to users why they should subscribe to your channel.
- Promote your videos. Your videos can gain exposure if their titles include relevant keywords. You should also have accounts on different social media and quality and interesting videos. It will drive attention and encourage word-of-mouth promotion. There are many different effective ways to inform your subscribers about new content that appear on your channel. With SendPulse, you can create a list of subscribers and schedule email send-out notifying users about new company’s videos.
- Consider influencer marketing. Opinion leaders have a huge number of followers who might be interested in your product. It’s always a good idea to contact influencers who work in the same niche and are ready to promote your company and products. Ask them for help. Keep in mind, 49% of customers trust recommendations of influencers.
- Measure the success. Once you upload your first video, it’s necessary to track the progress. This way, you’ll be aware of successes and failures. YouTube Analytics will simplify your work. Open it to see the changes in the number of subscribers, audience demographics, traffic sources, and device reports. The information you receive will help your channel move forward. By knowing about your viewers more, you’ll be able to improve your content and meet their needs.
Now when you are familiar with the process of creation, it’s time to explore the most effective tools to implement the strategy.
5 Best YouTube Marketing Tools
If you aim at developing a great channel, gaining subscribers, and views, you should leverage several useful tools.
To attract subscribers you need to create YouTube thumbnails and feature images that stand out. Canva is one of the most suitable platforms to help you with it. With its drag-and-drop editor, you can design any image you wish to win new customers. It has a great variety of templates to create a new video for your YouTube channel.
Below you can see Canva’s editor for creating different types of YouTube thumbnails.
Free plan: 30-day trial.
Paid plan: From $12.99 per month for up to five users.
YouTube works on the same principle as Google and ranks videos based on keywords, title, and description. That’s why you need an appropriate tool. Keyword Tool helps optimize videos and make them rank higher. As a result, the number of views and the popularity of your channel grows.
You can see the keywords you can use for videos on your YouTube channel.
Free plan: Available forever yet you can’t see search volume, trend, CPC (USD), and competition.
Paid plan: From $69 per month for one user billed annually.
BuzzSumo is a great YouTube marketing tool that helps create quality content. After getting the insights from the service, you can develop your idea and upload a useful video that will provide viewers with value. Besides a great content strategy, you’ll also be able to find influencers who can effectively promote your YouTube channel or company. After uploading videos, BuzzSumo will help you monitor the performance of your content.
Below you can see how to search for content by using relevant keywords and analyze the results.
Free plan: 30-day trial.
Paid plan: From $99 per month for five users.
This browser extension helps you optimize your content fast by using keyword search, A/B testing, templates, and comment filters. Its video SEO tools enable you to translate the title and description of your video into other languages to increase the number of viewers. TubeBuddy’s Keyword Explorer allows you to use the right keywords and rank higher in search results. Moreover, this browser extension also has a video A/B test feature to test your titles, tags, description, and thumbnails.
Free plan: Available forever.
Paid plan: From $7.20 per month for one user billed annually.
Agorapulse allows you to communicate with people from multiple YouTube accounts. That’s why there’s no need to constantly switch accounts and check whether there are new notifications. You can also manage comments under your videos. If you notice spam or inappropriate comments, you can ban them automatically. Agorapulse also lets people track the reaction of social media users to your videos. Also, schedule the publication.
Below you can notice how to publish or schedule content for your YouTube channel.
Free plan: 30-day trial for one user and three social profiles.
Paid plan: From $79 per month for two users and ten social profiles billed annually.
Now that you know the best tools, it’s time to explore several great tips to reach a wide audience and get many views.
3 YouTube Marketing Tips
There are many ways to improve brand exposure and engagement. Marketers promote their channels to increase viewership. Let’s find out how to do it.
- Come up with eye-catching titles. The main aim of creating an engaging heading is to attract new subscribers to your channel. Try brainstorming to come up with a really good title to encourage users to open and watch your video on YouTube. It’s great to use question-based titles or hyperbole to increase viewership. Some people turn to conversational language to be closer to their target audience. You can also use “best-of” and “how-to” at the beginning of your heading. However, clickbait headlines are a bad idea since they often mislead users.
- Research the needs and wants of your viewers. To get many views, make sure that your content meets the needs of your audience. You should know your viewers well to prepare quality videos and provide solutions. In case you are just starting your channel, take a look at your competitors and the content that makes subscribers satisfied. Look through the videos that gain the highest level of engagement; views, likes, and comments. This way, you’ll be able to find out the topics and types of videos people like to watch.
- Get ready with your thumbnails. Besides a killer title, you should also create a good thumbnail to grab customer attention. To prevent YouTube from using a blurry screenshot as your thumbnail, you should come up with yours. To make the most of it, ensure to include titles to communicate value, use a clear font, an original and relevant image, and be consistent.
Congrats, now you are acquainted with YouTube marketing and its benefits. Make use of our step-by-step guide and tips to create an outstanding strategy for your company. With SendPulse, you can promote your videos. You can provide viewers with a link to video instructions or invite them to the webinars by using our chatbot builder or bulk email service.
- This article provides readers with the best YouTube marketing tools.
- In this article, you’ll find some useful tips.
- This article unveils the most important facts about YouTube marketing.
Last Updated: 16.09.2021