Green marketing is developing and selling environmentally friendly goods or services. It helps improve credibility, enter a new audience segment, and stand out among competitors as more and more people become environmentally conscious.
Why is green marketing important?
Our planet is facing a lot of threats among them air and water pollution, food waste, plastic pollution, and deforestation. Chemicals manufactured by factories can be found everywhere. To support the earth, many companies consider producing their goods in an environmentally friendly manner. Moreover, the level of ecological awareness among consumers is getting higher so people rather purchase eco-friendly products although their price might be higher.
Many brands try their best to address the wishes of customers and have started the production of such goods and respect our responsibilities as residents of this planet. Green marketing has a positive influence on the health of people and the cleanliness of the environment. This type of marketing entails every stage of a business, from packaging to public relations.
Let’s walk you through the benefits of this approach to explore this topic in more detail before implementing it into your business.
Benefits of Green Marketing
With green marketing, companies have the great opportunity to change our planet for the better and support people who are aware of the situation and try to help the environment. By creating sustainable products, companies want to reduce the negative impact of waste products on our nature. Going green enables you to win the trust and loyalty of the concerned customers. It helps you:
- stand out in the increasingly competitive environment;
- reduce the negative impact of the production on the environment;
- save energy, reduce the use of natural resources and carbon footprint;
- produce recyclable products;
- improve the credibility of a certain brand;
- enter a new audience segment;
- ensure long-term growth;
- implement innovations;
- obtain higher revenue.
It’s not enough just to know about the benefits of green marketing since you should also be aware of the strategies. Luckily, nowadays there are many ways to go green. Let’s review them right away.
4 Green Marketing Strategies
You can find a lot of strategies related to green marketing that can help you create a sustainable brand to help our planet. So let’s review some of them.
- Sustainable design. It’s not just about a recycling logo on your product packaging, it’s about a full life cycle of the product in mind. You should pay attention to the details: the sources of your materials, the workers involved in the process. Especially, your company should control the amount of waste generated and the way your products are packaged and delivered. You have to consider a lot of things that have an impact on our environment when designing for sustainability.
- Responsibility. If you’re giving a thought to going green, your brand should be ready for a profound change. Green marketing is about becoming conscious of pollution. To prove the sincerity of your intentions, rethink your company in terms of ecological and social responsibility and show customers that you care about our planet.
- Green pricing. Environmentally friendly products are considered to have a high value due to the increased cost of sustainable design. However, despite the high price, customers are still willing to pay. So if you charge high prices for your eco products, ensure to communicate the specifics to prove that your goods are worth the price you’re asking for. Keep in mind that the greater your mission, the greater your opportunity to gain exposure for your brand’s goods.
- Sustainable packaging. The excessive use of plastic is the number one reason for the pollution of our planet. According to Greenpeace, 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic has been produced since the 1950s and only around 9% of this plastic has been recycled. Nowadays consumers are more responsible and try to avoid plastic packaging. That’s why it’s advisable to create recycled or no-plastic packaging for your brand.
Now that you know some of the strategies, it’s time to proceed to the ideas.
6 Green Marketing Ideas
- Use recycled materials
- Consider using bulk email service
- Upgrade your equipment and vehicles
- Highlight that your company is eco-friendly
- Invest in social media marketing
- Support environmental initiatives
Sustainable brands admit that environmental protection empowered their companies to obtain even more revenue and a wider customer base. Yet it’s not that easy to become a company friendly to our environment. You should be ready to utilize green marketing ideas and invest more funds than you expect to get such a long-awaited profit. Below you’ll find great ideas to implement if going green is your aim.
Use recycled materials
Try your best to use recycled materials and reduce the consumption of virgin products. Recycling reduces refining and processing of raw materials which causes substantial air and water pollution. It also helps save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Let’s take Allégorie, for example. The brand uses recycled apple and mango peels to create textiles through eco-friendly processes.
Consider using bulk email service
Newsletters give you an incredible opportunity to reach your target audience without any necessity in printing promotional flyers. It enables you to save trees. Besides, email marketing is more effective in obtaining feedback from customers about your campaigns.
With SendPulse, you can send the necessary number of email campaigns to your customer base. You can inform your audience about your decision to produce goods safe for our environment. Use our drag and drop editor to create your unique emails.
Upgrade your equipment and vehicles
If you have enough resources, it would be great to allocate some of them to buy new equipment and vehicles. It’s advisable to change to electrical models and reduce the level of carbon your company produces. The vehicles you usually use to deliver your products have an impact on our environment. Due to this fact, many brands prefer to use fuel-efficient vehicles. Don’t forget to include your logo on such a car.
Highlight that your company is eco-friendly
If your brand incorporates eco-friendly practices among them using energy-efficient office equipment, collaborating with vendors that prioritize sustainability, or developing an in-house recycling program for paper and electronics, tell people about it. Some customers prefer to purchase green products, so it’s necessary to inform them about your practices. It will give them a wider choice of products and an opportunity to select the best.
For example, on the website of Dr. Scholl's Shoes, a shopper can find all the necessary information about the brand’s sustainability.
Invest in social media marketing
Since social media marketing is more environmentally friendly and nowadays isn’t less popular than offline marketing, it would be a great step to invest in it to reach your customers with your innovative ideas and eco-friendly products.
For example, The Body Shop’s campaigns against animal testing through its Instagram account.
Support environmental initiatives
Some brands make donations to support our planet. Some of them even create special foundations and charities. Donating funds allows your company to support environmental initiatives, make our planet a better place, and as a result gain credibility and trust.
People Tree, a brand founded in 1991 and known for its clothes from environmentally-friendly materials, supports various initiatives. The company has the People Tree Foundation, an independent charity aimed at promoting environmental justice. With the help of this foundation, People Tree tries to protect our planet and develop awareness about the issues that threaten it.
So now let’s see how famous brands implement some of these ideas.
6 Green Marketing Examples
We’ve prepared several examples of socially responsible brands that defend the pureness of our planet, oppose animal testing, produce recyclable goods, and advocate sustainable ways of production.
The brand famous for its comfortable shoes uses business to improve lives and not to harm the environment. If you visit the company’s site, you can see that over the past five years TOMS has been trying to expand sustainable practices in key areas of the business: the brand uses earth-friendly materials, reduces waste and energy use, and uses sustainable cotton. Moreover, the brand provides customers with packaging made from recycled materials.
The company assumes that to raise a happy and healthy child, you should provide a healthy environment. This makes everybody think about our earth and take care of it. Green Toys are safe both for kids and the environment as they are made from 100% recyclable materials.
The Body Shop
The famous cosmetics brand fights cruelty to animals by campaigning against animal testing. The brand sells 100% vegetarian products. This brand is considered the first international cosmetics company to oppose this cruelty.
Universal brands like Boden have to pay attention to the sourcing and supply chain since they significantly influence our environment. That’s why the mentioned company follows through when it comes to sustainability. Boden uses sustainable and organic cotton to manufacture its clothes.
Love Beauty and Planet
As you know Unilever, a multinational consumer goods company has many brands and Love Beauty and Planet is one of them. The brand was created to make customers and the planet more beautiful. The company assumes that beauty and its impact on the environment are inseparable. So they designed bottles for shampoos, hand creams, and other products from recycled plastic.
Avocado, a brand of eco-friendly mattresses. The company is committed to using organic materials to produce its pillows, mattresses, and bedding. It maintains such practices to safeguard the health of customers and protect our planet from negative impacts.
Green marketing includes progressive ideas that are so necessary for our planet now, when it suffers from water and air pollution, cruelty to animals during animal testing, and other environmental problems. By going green, your brand enables people to live better, conscious, and responsible lives.
- The article “What Is Green Marketing? 5 Sustainable Examples to Know” covers the definition, goals of green marketing, and offers five examples.
- The article “Green Marketing” defines the term, explains how it works, and provides an example.
- The article “3 Green Marketing Examples To Learn From For 2020” explains the term and gives several examples.
Last Updated: 16.07.2021